Saturday, January 22, 2011

...finished projects!

Wow! It feels good to finish a project, especially when it is one that I have been working on for a few years.I designed this rug for a class I was taking at Green Mountain Hooked Rug School with one of my favorite teachers, Jule Marie Smith. The class was a study of early primitive rug styles with an emphasis on making that style your own.I loved playing with the crazy hit-or-miss boarder which is a common technique of old rugs. It was a great way to use up scraps. I learned a lot about color and movement as I worked. Hit-or-miss isn't quite so willy-nilly as it may seem. There is a lot of careful planning that goes into it to make it look the way it does. I purposefully hooked a few quirks in here and there because that is something that I like so much about the old rugs.


This little house is a favorite of mine. Simple. Wobbly. Primitive. Colorful. This is my kind of house. I would love to live in such a sweet little place. It makes me happy just to look at it. I also really love the background. I had fun dyeing lots of light value yellows to mix together. Swirling them all gives a tone on tone movement that is a favorite of mine.

I love to design rugs and dye wool and hook! And, boy oh boy, do I love a finished project.
It's so freeing...
I wonder what I should start working on next...




www.greenmountainhoodrugs.com/school

No comments: